On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 12:11:52PM -0500, Virgil Smith wrote:
> Unfortunately, to
> actually make it a zero sum game one would have to include provisions
> stating that any post is released to Tecgraph so that from that point on
> they own the copyright and thus a Lua copyright attribution would be
> correct.  I have no idea how difficult that would be to arrange, and it may
> not even be possible.

It's not necessary (see another of my posts), and it's also not
practical. You can reassign copyrights, but it requires a physical
signed bit of paper.

> The underlying issue to that is that copyright is a right and you
> can not sell a right (under many legal systems).  All you can do is
> sell/grant a license for use.

On the contrary; copyright is reassigned all the time. Many employment
and publishing contracts include assignment of copyright, for example.
Even universities have an annoying tendency to try to claim copyright
and patent rights over students' work. Hopefully that one wouldn't
stick legally, but what student can afford to take it through the
courts?

-- Jamie Webb