Rici Lake wrote:
I realise that we are probably not going to get to the level of defining a standard interface for the FreeBSD kqueue call or Mac OS X equivalent which you can use to receive notification when a new file has been added to a directory. But wouldn't it be useful to have a defined interface for common things like verifying whether a string represented a file or a directory; creating new files within directories; iterating over files within directories; and safely walking a directory path?

For hints I would check out the platform independent interfaces available in Python, etc. For example try "pydoc os.path" at your nearest shell prompt.

-John

--
http://giftfile.org/  ::  giftfile project