> Core Lua provides no more than can be done with the standard C
> libraries. One reference I use for standard C (there might be
> better ones) is here: http://www-ccs.ucsd.edu/c/index.html

I think this is an important point, and a good point for Lua in
general -- it doesn't try to hide operating system details from you,
it's simply a language on top.  That it isn't littered with #ifdef
_WIN32 statements (unlike many other open source projects) is a good
thing.

Some areas are far too ambitious to roll into a standard
distributions: graphical interfaces, a math library, a native threads
library, high quality audio, file/directory handling, signal handling,
etc.

That said, there are certain concepts that are common across a huge
range of platforms that could easily be encapsulated in a single file
and would likely benefit a lot of users.  The obvious ones are a ms
accurate timer (when available), sleep, and maybe a handful of others.

Brian