On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 09:06:12AM -0500, Michael Cumming wrote:
> Interesting discussion so far.  I did not think there would be so
> many mail list holdovers :)  In reality, mailing lists are in
> decline.  This is the last list that I belong to.  All others have
> finally seen the light and gone to a bulletin board format.  They
> offer huge advantages that cannot be ignored.
>
> Your email address are not in full view.

How are they here?

> No cut and paste for subjects, just click reply.

My god! Please tell me you're joking.

> PM for directly speaking with other users.

What, like personal email?

> No back and forth through a 200 line text email trying to follow the
> topic your are interested.

How does a BB change this? I've certainly noticed that BB messages are
typically shorter, but that's because the syle of conversation is
different, which I can hardly see as being an advantage.

> Subject areas that can be subscriped to so you get every message
> without even having to check.

Without even checking? How? Because they get mailed to you? Like a
mailing list? Except where you have to go to some web site and use a
terrible interface in order to reply?

> Very easy to search, no thread disconnect because of a
> spelling/cut/paste error in the subject line.

This argument keeps coming up, and I don't get it. Why are forums
easier to search than mail archives? As far as I'm concerned (since I
archive messages locally), they are harder because I have to go to a
web site and use a clunky (compared to my mail reader), and less
full-featured search interface.

As for threads, most BBs (and in particular phpbb, since everyone
seems to be suggesting that) aren't properly threaded anyway, which is
a pain. Threading on a mailing list isn't perfect, but IMO it's at
least as good as on a BB.

> When you come back to the forum and logon you can simply click view
> all new posts since last visit.

And you can't do that with a mail reader?

> File attachments.

If is small text, it can go on the list. If it's large/binary, it
can go on the Wiki with a link.

> Message formating which makes including code much easier and more
> readable.

Most BBs with formatting that I've seen have been a disaster. People
keep getting it wrong.

> You can reference valuable threads with an url making it easy to
> point others in the right direction.

And this differs from the mail archives how?

On the other hand, the mailing list:

- Is available via email, web, and NNTP interfaces.
- Can be viewed using whichever software/method each member prefers
  (yes, including a web interface), including for many of us using our
  preferred text editor.
- For those without permanent connections, the new messages can be
  retrieved in a few seconds, and then viewed offline.
- Can be searched offline for those who want that.

In summary, I've yet to se an actual, real, advantage to forums. Only
disadvantages.

-- Jamie Webb