John Belmonte wrote:

> Jason Murdick wrote:
> >
> > He is suggesting a real forum, with threads that are organized, user
> > accounts, and a real search utility. Something such as phpBB if I am not
> > mistaken.
>[...]
> will not participate if they have to "register".  (Or maybe Edgar has
> changed his view :-).

Hm... I'm not sure what you have in mind but I can assure you that I
would never register at a web-forum :-)

I never understood why people are so obsessed with web-forums.  What
do they give that cannot be found in any half-decent mail-reader?
Just a single feature?  I've yet to find it.  On the con-side: they
are unwieldy, every one is different, you have to poll one after the
other to check for new messages, checking which messages are new is
tricky, they won't work with my browser, the text editors are toys,
threading/searching/filtering is inferior, archiving is impossible,
they are slow, you have to be online, servers track my reading habits,
banner ads, ...

IMO, if the people who ask for forums would take their time to learn
how to properly use their mail-reader and they would never ever ask
for a web-forum[1] again.  And I promise, it's worth the time :-)

> I believe we already have a forum (lua-l + wiki), and it has proved
> quite effective.

Indeed.

Ciao, ET.

[1] or tagged subject lines ;-)