We really need a forum!  Is there a reason (technical/cost/time) that this hasn't happened?  What can we lua users do to help?

I don't think a forum is a good idea. A forum is slow, ugly and messy.
Mails are simple, readable by everyone (have you tried to read a phpBB forum with a text browser?) and quicker.

Personnaly, I prefer a simple WiKi with the main examples, and a powerful and helpful mailing-list.

Regards,
- Sam
--
Maxime Petazzoni -  maxime.petazzoni@bulix.org  - http://www.bulix.org