Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
(Would the latter be one of the things traditionally covered
efficiently by a 'generational' garbage collector?)

Probably. Quite recently, a student of mine posted a message asking
for "complete Lua programs that do a reasonable amount of memory
allocation" (http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2004-06/msg00096.html),
Unfortunatelly, nobody replied :(

It seems that your mesh simplifier fits the bill :)

Oh, I don't remember seeing that post.  Thanks for letting
me know!  The scripts in question are pretty hideously woven-in
with a set of commercial classes and APIs though, so very far
from standalone for any practical testing.

If I was going to rewrite it again from scratch I'd very likely
make it standalone and freely-licensed, but also might just bite
the bullet and use C/C++!  Really it was an experiment in whether
it would be practical to implement key number-crunching parts of
the toolchain itself in Lua.

Thanks,
--Adam
--