Philippe Lhoste wrote:

> Vijay Aswadhati wrote:
> > I have seen "use the proxy table" answers on one too many occasions.
> [snip]
> > So the question is this: is it worth requesting this as a feature in
> > 5.1?
>
> Probably yes (IMHO) but I suppose there are issues with that, otherwise
> it would have been a feature of Lua since a long time.

It has been in Lua for a very long time (gettable/settable tag methods).
It was removed in Lua 5, possibly to get the number of meta-methods
for indexing down to two (instead of four).

IMHO, one of the two unfortunate changes in Lua 5 (the other one being
the handling of globals, setfenv & co).

Ciao, ET.