> If I compile foo.lua -> foo.luac and execute it, it actually executes
> the require() call and looks for bar.lua. This is terrible, because I
> can't hide the source code. I suppose I could compile bar.lua ->
> bar.luac and require *that* file, but that feels a whole lot more like
> a hack than a solution...

Not a hack at all.  Note that require does quite some work to find the file
that is actually required.  In particular it does not need the .lua
extension.  Consider the following:

---
LUA_PATH = "./?.lua;./?.luac"
require "bar"
---

In this example require tries to load the files ./bar.lua and then
./bar.luac.  In this way an uncompiled script preempts a compiled script,
which is quite useful in practice.

So the solution is to set the appropriate LUA_PATH and omit extensions in
the require call for code scripts.

--
Wim