Roberto wrote:
Not at all. Quite the opposite: we also have little idea of what this
factor (and the other constants as well) should be. We need real users
with real uses (like you!!) to give us feedback about these tunnings.
(One concern is that, if the collector is too much agressive, it may
slow down regular applications. Maybe this factor should be variable??)

I posted about my dream garbage collector for Lua over three years ago (http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2001-02/msg00178.html). Implementing an incremental GC only covers half. The other half is having a good way to control it. Inspired by a paper referenced in that post, this is what I wanted: "just specify the amount of wasted memory to be tolerated as a percentage of in-use memory, with higher tolerance translating to lower GC overhead".

-John

--
http:// ift ile.org/