> My question to the Lua authors is: is the factor of 2 "special" in any
> way?

Not at all. Quite the opposite: we also have little idea of what this
factor (and the other constants as well) should be. We need real users
with real uses (like you!!) to give us feedback about these tunnings.
(One concern is that, if the collector is too much agressive, it may
slow down regular applications. Maybe this factor should be variable??)

> Unfortunately the current API doesn't support this, but I made a stab
> at adding this functionality to lua_gc():

This is an interesting addition. My only question is: why the loop? Why
not a single call to luaC_step? Each program can make its own loop (with
its own criteria). After all, "data" has no clear meaning anyway.

-- Roberto