This relates to a couple recent threads,
In 5.1 I would like to beg for 2 small changes

1) Could we vector the current miscellaneous console io
through *one* routine (either C or Lua) (or module)
e.g. _ALERT, print, callalert()/lauxlib  debug()/ldblib

2) Could the RTL IO functions in iolib be replaced with
macros? along the lines of:

#define LFREAD fread
#define LFWRITE fwrite
#define LFILE FILE
etc

This would make life *really* easy for patchers of
the iolib (like myself).

3) When the parser gets a block of script would it be
possible to ignore extraneous control characters (isctrl())
where it is possible. If we encounter control characters
in a string I would always assume that the parser would not
mess with them. However, in code I think it just ignore
them (LF excepted). e.g.
<CTL><CTL>if<CTL>bTest<CTL>then<CTL><NL><CTL>
  dosomething(param1(CTL>,param2)
It would nice if the above would compile. I passed scripts
across OSs that use different charsets and the conversion
often ends up with whitespace being translated in a
inconsistent manner. (mainly <TAB>)

thanks
David B