> 1) Could we vector the current miscellaneous console io
> through *one* routine (either C or Lua) (or module)
> e.g. _ALERT, print, callalert()/lauxlib  debug()/ldblib

Some of these facilities are deprecated (_ALERT, callalert). We will try
to add a macro to be used by the other facilities.

> 2) Could the RTL IO functions in iolib be replaced with
> macros? along the lines of:
>
> #define LFREAD fread
> #define LFWRITE fwrite
> #define LFILE FILE
> etc

You shouldn't need that. You can use LUA_USER_H to include something
like this in your project:

  #ifdef liolib_c
  #define fread ...
  #define fwrite ...
  #endif

> 3) When the parser gets a block of script would it be possible to
> ignore extraneous control characters (isctrl()) where it is possible.

This seems quite dangerous.

-- Roberto