>a) Can I use the old I/O library with the new Lua until I have time to modify
>   the new library? I know the syntax is different but will it work?
Yes and Yes. I did this some time ago (to my regret),
the 5 library is not that complex, do the couple of hours work.

>b) Is there a better way to do what I want than modifying the library? I need
>   portable solution that will run on both Unix and Lose-dows.
I never found it. Replacing library table and metatable functions
in a separate module still leaves you exposed.
Cloning the library and using a different set of names gives
you some insulation to change.

David B