I'm running into some issues with the library code.
So far it is:
o std.bit.lua:12: attempt to index global `bit' (a nil value)
o std.rex.lua:4: bad argument #1 to `setmetatable' (table expected, got nil)

Hmm... begin to see a pattern here.. I miss the coresponding c libs
needed (like bits and rex etc). Maybe the lib should check wheter these
libraries are available or not, before doing their stuff :)

o std.table.lua:122 shouldn't the metamethod be __index?
o std.base.lua:tostring need to check for self referencing tables, or it
goes down an endless circle of tostring calls.

That's what I've found so far.
Oh, and I used the latest sources from cvs (few hours ago), not the zip
you released.

Regards,
Andreas