Chris Chapman wrote:

This however doesn't help much when Lua is tightly integrated into a game,
and it is the interaction between game logic and game data you need to
debug. On the PS2 we have to use a specific debugger system to communicate,
and its not Visual C.
Our current game is on the PS2, writing a simple debugger that runs in the game engine isn't that difficult and makes development much easier. All you need is to display the scipt plus a scrolly list of all locals and globals. In debug mode you can just grab the scripts
from disk (or network if you have that set up).

I would invest some time and code it up, otherwise you end up with an unmanageable system,
it sounds like you're getting to that stage.