I've done a bit of research and I think I know how this works, but I'm
not sure if I'm reading the stuff correctly, so I'm looking for any sort
of confirmation.

Do references to objects via the registry count towards preventing
garbage collection? I think this is the same as asking if the registry
is weak-valued.

I'd just like to know if I would be able to maintain a GList (linked
list) in C and not have it be garbage collected. Once I've removed the
list, I'd like it to be able to be collected. I think the registry is
the facility I'm looking for, but the reference manual is not clear on
the weakness of the registry...

Thanks for any info.

P.S. Is there a way to search the Lua mailing list archive? All I was
able to was open what seemed to be approximately 10 billion posts in one
gigantic text file... kind of inconvenient if I wanna quickly look for
something like this...