Sorry, my mistake. I'm not terribly familiar with Lua under the hood so
to speak. This is partly the authors fault for not creating enough bugs
in the source code! I have thus been able to play with the fun part,
which is using the Lua syntax.

Performance-wise I am very happy with Lua I am just looking for ways to
trim memory usage at the moment.

> >I think Rici mentioned a while ago that his style of implementation
> >preference would be to have a line information VM instruction, rather
> >than embedded line information.
>
> This is exactly how the line information is stored since Lua 4.0. It
was
> one
> of the major changes from Lua 3.2 (no more $debug!).

I don't see where the source line VM instruction is. From a quick scan
of the code I understand traceexec() to do the job of pulling out the
current line number if there is one. Since there is a method to strip
out line number information this pretty irrelevant to me.

> >It looks like quite a task to strip out line numbers from the current
> >implementation though.
>
> Which version are you using??

5.0

Thanks for keeping me informed,