Yes, buying the final version in advance sounds good. And I agree with
Brett: somewhere along the lines of 20-40 dollars sounds fine for an
electronic copy. Obviously, I'd be willing to pay more for a printed
version. But I'm not sure we should be waiting around for publishers to see
the (Lua) light.

Self-publishing is always an option. It's serviced a lot of niche markets. A very simple way to do it is to use Amazon's Advantage program, but you'd keep a lot more of the money (though it would also be a lot more work) if you did it entirely on your own.