Well... this may seem redundant but anyway, I am going to repeat
that I've posted a incremental hack on to Lua 4.0 a year ago.

But it wasn't fully successful even though it works to some
extent. some smart people out there could just help to nail
down the final bug!!

Back to the topic of Lua's mark & sweep, my other quick (and
successful) hack after the above mentioned (unsuccessful)
incremental GC attempt is to do "mark & sweep + incremental
collect".

The basic idea is that object destruction is usually the most
expensive part if it involves many GC callback. So what I
did was to chain up garbages instead of destructing them during
the sweep step, and then incrementally clean them up. This
later proved to work very well, and solved all my previous
issues with Lua's long GC halt.

Interested parties can get the above mentioned two packages
from http://www.gime.org/twiki/bin/view/Gime/WebDownload

Regards,
.paul.