In case anyone is interested, I've written down my current thoughts
about garbage collection (not necessarily specific to Lua), including
a nice succinct quote by Ken Thompson.  Executive summary:
ref-counting is good.  Here's the longer version:

http://tulrich.com/geekstuff/ref-counting-is-good.txt

I know the Lua authors have said they're working on incremental +
generational collection.  I don't know how far along that work is, but
I'm throwing this into the pot in case it's interesting or helpful.

-Thatcher