> Perhaps RH9 needs -fPIC when you compile the source to generate shared libs.

I was already using -fPIC. At the moment I've got a reproducible crash
with a stack backtrace that says it's trying to free an invalid pointer
(the FILE *) inside fclose. Of course, if I use the debugging version of
glibc the problem goes away again because it's static again.

I will double check the use of -fPIC, though, because I'm not using it at
the moment.

--
http://www.mupsych.org/~rrt/
L'art des vers est de transformer en beautés les faiblesses (Aragon)