Quoting Joshua Jensen <jjensen@workspacewhiz.com>:

> Is it too much to include the extern "C" code in lua.h?
> Many, many other C libraries do this exact thing to make
> it easier for the end user.  How many times, on this
> mailing list alone, do we hear about individuals trying
> to interface Lua with C++ and they're getting linker
> errors?  One simple little extern "C" change in lua.h
> would make all of that go away.

Keep in mind something else we here on the list on a
frequent basis is how lua isn't enough like C for all the C
programmers, and if the lua authors would only make it more
like C, then it would be more like C to people who think
that every language in the world should be C. Or, feel free
to replace C with any language any one person might consider
their favorite.

The point is, just because other people have done this,
doesn't mean that lua has to do it as well. In this case,
typing 2 extra lines doesn't seem like a big deal.

It seems like the problem is less that you have to do it
yourself and more that there are so many people out there
not familiar enough with C++ to know what the errors mean,
who also don't bother to do their own research, and just
want answers handed to them.

The FAQ is full of frequently asked questions (strangely ;)
and their simple answers. It's just a pity that so many
people don't bother to look at it before they ask a question.