> > Is it too much to ask that you add 2 lines of code to when
> > you include the Lua interface?
> >
> > extern "C" {
> > #include "lua"
> > }
>
> Is it too much to include the extern "C" code in lua.h?  Many, many
> other C libraries do this exact thing to make it easier for the end
> user.  How many times, on this mailing list alone, do we hear about
> individuals trying to interface Lua with C++ and they're
> getting linker
> errors?  One simple little extern "C" change in lua.h would
> make all of
> that go away.

As mentioned by other posters. Its pollution of Lua by other languages.
Lua has design constraints.

> Oh, gadfreys.  Can we please keep Microsoft out of this
> group?  I get so
> tired of hearing drivel like this over and over.

I didn't bring it up. Another poster was implying that Microsoft APIs
were the easy alternative to Lua. I disagree and since you keep reading
comments like this "over and over" I take this to mean others do too.
There are other things I find disagreeable but I agree we should not use
this list to discuss this.

> I believe most of the posters and lurkers on this list use
> Lua, because
> they believe it is pretty well written.  I believe people choose Lua
> because of its small footprint.  I also believe people choose Lua
> because it is typeless... and maybe because they can do
> better-than-XML
> data description... or that the VM is really pretty fast
> considering its
> typeless nature.  I highly doubt the majority of posters choose Lua
> because of their experiences with Microsoft software.

"Microsoft software (_or other_ large redundant timewasters)" was the
phrase I used. I agree with you about the small footprint and language
features. Probably won't be long until Microsoft adopt it and make some
aspect of proprietary then.

> > [shudders remembering the horror of learning DirectX and MFC]
>
> Heh.  Give me WTL anyday... oh, wait, that's a Microsoft product.  ;)

Shame that wasn't around when I started Windows programming then.

Regards,
Nick