Brian Hook wrote:
> Is there a status update for binary loadable modules in Lua 5?  I
> just reread the thread on Thatcher's changes but that is for 4.01
> only.

Yes, it has not been announced, because Lua 5 is still beta, and the library
has not been extensively tested for Lua 5. However, it seems to work fine on
my few tests.

You can download the patch here:

http://talika.eii.us.es/~titan/lua/lua-5.0-loadmodule-2002-12-18.patch

> I'm trying to write a simple utility that requires access to a high
> quality PRNG (Mersenne Twister), but which would otherwise run fine
> within the Lua interpreted environment.
>
> 99.9% of the utility works great in Lua, but short of porting the
> PRNG to Lua natively (which would be somewhat tedious since it relies
> heavily on bit twiddling), I'll have to call into a native function,
> which makes this package less portable than I'd like.
>
> I'd like to be able to make this an easy distribution to get, and
> requiring downloading Lua + "insert appropriate binary loadable
> module for your system" is more work than "download Lua + these
> scripts".
>
> I'm fearful that it would be easier to just distribute everything as
> a built EXE and using my own CLI that passes things to dostring().

Hmm... that definitely sounds easier, but if you want to allow other people
to use your library from lua scripts, the module version would be
preferable. Why not just provide both options?

Ignacio Castaño
castanyo@yahoo.es

Yahoo! Móviles
Personaliza tu móvil con tu logo y melodía favorito
en http://moviles.yahoo.es