> On Feb 12, 2003 at 05:56 -0000, paul_winwood <paul_winwood@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
> > I have read the comments made about bloat when using wxWindows and I
> > wanted to put the other side of the story.
> [...]
>
> A word of support: IMO wxLua is the best all-around GUI toolkit for
> Lua, but of course other people's opinions will vary depending on what
> they value the most.  I would be very glad to see a wxLua that is
> loadable as a module, rather than having the interpreter built-in.  I
> think it would be interesting to write & debug SDL programs from the
> GUI, etc.

My optionon too. I do like wxLua very much as a complete GUI building
environment. Only problem I had was using Modules with wxLua AND a faceless
Lua interpreter.
wxLua loadable as Module would be a dream.

Leaving out the non-GUI related stuff from the wx bindings would be what I'd
do, as to not duplicate functionality covered by other Modules. (Sockets, DB
etc.)

And wx has one great plus on all platforms: it is by far the most 'native'
and 'professional' looking Toolkit I've seen.

As I mentioned some time ago (?) I have compiled an experimental wxLua that
had loadmodule support and uses unmodified lua-4.0.dll and lualib-4.0.dll
(same as my loadmodule enabled lua.exe)
I haven't extensively tested this setup, as I currently didn't have much
interst in GUI anyway (I was aiming in doing the frontend in HTML/JS)

> Also I think it's a mistake to try to debate one "official" GUI for
> LuaCheia -- the whole point (as I see it) is to be inclusive and
> support mixing & matching by users.

Yes! For me, a GUI lib for LuaCheia is only a 'nice to have' for now.

-Martin