>Either open the file in binary mode regardless of whether it is pre-compiled
>or not (does that produce any significant difference?) or reopen the file
>and skip until the first <newline> (which is only a few characters).

If we always open the file in binary mode then we'll have to struggle with
end-of-line terminators, which stdio does for us. This is important for error
messages.

>It would be far more flexible if the parser (the 'load' and 'do' actions)
>took a general "stream" function that simply produced characters upon demand
>until end-of-stream. The 'dump' function could do the reverse.

Yes, it would be very flexible. I think this can already by done by writing
a suitable (and small) library. I'm not sure we want to change the baselib
to do this, but we'll see.

--lhf