well, I've got a GPL project at

http://www.gime.org/twiki/bin/view/Gime/GraphicFrontend

which provides a very thin graphics layer written in C, and the
entire GUI stuff is implemented in pure Lua. It even comes with
a GUI editor to assemble widgets visually and later export them
into Lua scripts.

Unfortunately, I've got not enough time to polish it up (clean
up code mess, document it with tutorials, etc). It is still quite
a toy. But nevertheless, people interested in implementing Lua
GUI may take a look. The code base is small enough to get hands
on in an afternoon ;-)

Regards,
.paul.