Martin Spernau wrote:

> As to what binding/loading achitecture to use, GluaX ahs one great benefit:
> a _binary_ module build for a GluaX host can be loaded with Lua4 AND
> Lua5 without any changes (binary after all). I think that would be a
> great benefit.
> And it doesn't hinder using other binding techiques like tolua etc.
>
> A drawback of GluaX is that the binding needs to be made completly for
> GluaX, so there would be no 'reuse' of existing bindings, but maybe Asko
> can change that and merge some features of loadmodule and his GluaX.
>
> -Martin

GluaX is promising, but I have some reservations about it.
My biggest "problem" with GluaX is simple but important:
there seems to be no tool to automatically generate wrappers from
header files. If I was audacious, then I would claim that we will
be able to write all these wrappers manually, but realistically
speaking,
I think we all lack time to do that.

I think we will need an automated tool like tolua that will generate
the wrappers for us. It's no fun to wrap 100+ functions by hand!
If we can somehow combine tolua and Gluax, the nwe might be set.

Oh, and I also have some smaller problems with the security of
GluaX. I've spotted several possible buffer overruns in there...
Nothing that cannot be solved, of course.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I also cheked out Premake, but
that would require a LOT of tweaking before it's ready for
what we intend to do. Not to mention it hasn't been ported to
Mac.

Daniel Remar.
Björn De Meyer
bjorn.demeyer@pandora.be