Hi,

I had  a coarse look on Asko's  stuff. It is perhaps  pretty fast, and
also  perhaps behaves well  with dynamic  loading.  But  it is  of the
style: Write your own wrapper function for your C function if you want
to get it bound to Lua. This can be tedious work, but perhaps it makes
sense to have such a low-overhead tool.

We just  recently switched  from or own-rolled  "olua" (same  style as
above) to  tolua (with  "luabind", a tool  which generates  tolua .pkg
from marked  up headers and pipes them  to tolua), and what  to say: I
feel more free  and productive now! It is also easy  to say to someone
else  "If you  want to  get  bound your  function to  Lua, just  write
LuaBind before its declaration". At  least in the first place, he does
not  need  to know  anything  about  the  way the  Lua-C-Interface  is
organized.

Furthermore,  IMHO Waldemar  Celes as  the one  who made  tolua  did a
pretty  good  job with  the  design  (my  judging from  the  generated
code). It  is more than just a  hack. One feels a  sound CS background
behind it.

Therefore, I  personally like tolua that  much that I  would stay with
Lua4 for a longer time if  tolua5 would be on a slow pace.  Concerning
speed,  I feel  myself able  to fine-tune  5-10 of  the  most critical
bindings by hand if necessary.

For  tolua5,  I would  suggest  to have  flag  which  controls if  the
run-time type checking is generated or not.

Juergen