On Tuesday 04 February 2003 09:56, Asko Kauppi wrote:
> I've worked around most of the edges for my projects but the main issue
> really is the _learning_curve_ for newcomers to Lua. If we want people to
> embrace this magnificient language, it must be simple enough to do so.

Yes, Lua is a powerful and flexible language even in its basic form.
Introducing metatables in a separate step sounds like a good idea; I would
suggest something of this sort for the Lua reference manual:

- introduction (including a note about Lua stand-alone as a learning tool)
- basic Lua
- libraries
- metatables
- C interface
- debug interface
- lua stand-alone

Also, since metatables are not that common in other languages, I think a few
examples would be very useful in making the learning curve less steep.

  Enrico