On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 05:29:52AM -0800, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> > IIRC, all content should be able to reply to a HEAD request.  Also, I
> > seem to remember that if you want to have virtual servers (and therefor
> > HTTP/1.1) you've also *MUST* support chunked encoding, according to the
> No, virtual servers exist in 1.0 also (the Host: header). You don't need to
> support 1.1 encoding schemes for that.

More complex than that. [pops his I wrote webservers for a living hat on
for a bit]

HTTP/1.0 allows for arbirary headers to be passed to the server, and
arbitrary headers to be returned too.

HTTP/1.1 mandates the presence of a Host: header, in order to implement
'virtual hosting' as was described in HTTP/1.1

If you make an HTTP/1.1 *request* then you must be prepared to receive
an HTTP/1.1 response which may be chunked-encoded or whatever.

If you accept an HTTP/1.1 request -- then as a server you *must* be
prepared to recieve a chunked-encoded request body in a POST or similar.
(although in reality no clients use this)

Many clients therefore make an HTTP/1.0 request, passing a Host: header,
in order to benefit from the virtual-server facility provided by the
header, without having to code up routines to cope with chunked
encoding.

[removes said hat]

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                               http://www.digital-scurf.org/
Hostmaster, Webmaster, and Chief Code Wibbler          Digital-Scurf Unlimited