From: tom7ca [mailto:tmb-yahoo-egroups@lumo.com]
Sent: 30 October 2002 15:32
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Garbage collection

> Our own user data types are also under control
> of such a memory manager. There
> is no mallocing and freeing going on while
> the program runs. We are also
> using a pseudo reference counting system, that
> collects incrementally so
> there is no hit for chained objects.

Yes, this is quite common.  I have written that kind of
code, too, because in C, you simply can't do much better.

But that doesn't make it good engineering.  The kind
of allocator you describe is an inefficient, non-interoperable,
special-purpose solution.

General purpose, efficient, real-time memory management is a
hard problem.  The problem is hard enough that it
should be solved once in the runtime.

Tom.