> Everybody refers to reference counting as
> though it cannot catch cyclic structures.
> Rafael Lins, whom I believe is now in the
> Departamento de Electronica e Sistemas at
> the Universidade de Pernambuco, produced
> some beautiful gc reference counting
> algorithms that do catch cyclic structures.
> See "Cyclic Reference Counting with Lazy
> Mark-Scan", UKC Technical Report 75
> (1991).

Well it can't, hence you have to use another algorithm to catch the
cyclic references!

I put the paper up on the wiki in PDF if anyone would like to read it:
(I assumed PDF is everyones format of choice).

http://lua-users.org/wiki/GarbageCollection

http://lua-users.org/files/wiki_insecure/gc/lins90cyclic.pdf