On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 03:51:21PM -0700, Terence Martin wrote:
> Very cool. All the "make install" would have to do is some simple
> substitutions in a template script, to give the directories where
> things are actually being installed to (as seen in config). Or, this
> could be done via a lua script, or have make install install a
> lua.config file that was a simple table that lua-config could source
> to get the info, etc etc.

Aye, although I doubt that bit is useful for me right now, if Lua were to
distribute with a script, that'd be the best thing to do, perhaps in fact,
only install the lua.config file, and then different distributions or
operating systems could come with a lua-config which finds and sources that
file as appropriate

> The only thing I'd suggest adding would be a --version flag to
> facilitate knowing what version is actually installed, and perhaps
> something like --extra-libs to get other libraries that need to be
> linked in, such as -lm (or have that appended to --libs output for
> ease of use).

Hmm, I agree that this would be sensible -- I've tacked them into my version
here. Once I've tidied it a little more I'll post it again for comments.

> Both of these things are likely not required for the debian release,
> since version numbers are included in lib and include directory names
> already.

Aye -- this was done to ensure that I could install 4.0 and 5.0 next to each
other safely. -- this script will be installed as lua-config40 and Debian's
alternatives system will link it to the lua interpreter and compiler as the
system defaults allow.

Now all I need to do is write a manpage, polish this script and upload it.

The things I do for the OS I use :)

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                               http://www.digital-scurf.org/
Hostmaster, Webmaster, and Chief Code Wibbler          Digital-Scurf Unlimited