Very cool. All the "make install" would have to do is some simple
substitutions in a template script, to give the directories where
things are actually being installed to (as seen in config). Or, this
could be done via a lua script, or have make install install a
lua.config file that was a simple table that lua-config could source
to get the info, etc etc.

The only thing I'd suggest adding would be a --version flag to
facilitate knowing what version is actually installed, and perhaps
something like --extra-libs to get other libraries that need to be
linked in, such as -lm (or have that appended to --libs output for
ease of use).

Both of these things are likely not required for the debian release,
since version numbers are included in lib and include directory names
already.