> Or, this could be done via a lua script, or have make install install
> a lua.config file that was a simple table that lua-config could source
> to get the info, etc etc.

Lua 5.0 (alpha) already does most of this. Try "make echo" ou "./configure".
A similar Makefile entry could be made to output a simple list of variables
and quoted values, which would be acceptable as a Lua program.
Something like the output of
	make echo | grep = | sed -e 's/= /= "/' -e 's/$/"/'

If this is useful, I can add it to the Makefile, but I need to know exactly
what is needed. Could you please check the output of "make echo" and see
what is missing?
--lhf