David Burgess wrote:
See the earlier mail from read.beyond.data

a) use createpipe(), createprocess() is the only way I
know to get stderr. However CreatePipe() and ReadFile()
is a shaky piece of work on win 9x systems. There are
examples of doing this in MSDN.

Okay so this would be a job for a lib

b) afaik you cant. You can read from stdin OR write to stdout.

Ok. I can live with that for now. makes the communication more limited, but that's still better than temp-files

c) writeto("|more");write("xxx");writeto();
demos the output event

Thanks again,
Martin

Okay, this has gottem me really far along my way.
Now I have some further questions concerning 'piping'

The sample code 'opens' the STDOUT of the external process as _INPUT
a) how would I (also) connect STDERR as a filehandle to read from?
b) how do I write to the STDIN of the above external process?
h=readfrom("|command -arg")
writeto(h) -- does this connect to STDIN of above pipe?

What I'm basically after is controlling another commandline tool (ispell, curl etc) from within a lua-script. It would also be important to catch STDERR, of course.

Thanks for all the help already,

-Martin