See the earlier mail from read.beyond.data

a) use createpipe(), createprocess() is the only way I
know to get stderr. However CreatePipe() and ReadFile()
is a shaky piece of work on win 9x systems. There are
examples of doing this in MSDN.

b) afaik you cant. You can read from stdin OR write to
stdout.

c) writeto("|more");write("xxx");writeto();
demos the output event