Is this a reasonable use of LUA? Has anyone implemented anything
similar?

I am currently implementing something like this for a DOS graphical menu system: the configuration file is written in LUA, the font and theme files are both LUA files (at present they only declare an array and fill it up, but one could extend it so much...), and last but not least, the script that drives the engine in drawing the menus is an LUA script with 10 or so callbacks to C engine functions.
An I believe that LUA does its job incredibly well here :)

David Anderson

P.S.: I will declare my program on the LUA projects page once the first version is out, in a few days