Thinking about the whole "Why don't more people know about/use Lua"
thing.

One thing that I know I've run into before is "What is the state of
Lua?"  By looking at Lua.org, there's no clear indicator what the
current version of Lua is, what the next version is, what it looks like,
etc.  For example, the download page mentions 4.0, but no mention of the
patches and there's no talk at all about 4.1 other than a reference that
it was pulled in favor of 5.0?

A page on lua.org with "Lua Status" broke up into Previous Release,
Current Release and Patches, and Future Releases with the information
that's been posted about thoughts for upcoming versions would probably
help a lot of people (or, at least, me =) ) understand where Lua has
been and where it's going without reading old magazine articles and a
bunch of mailing list archives.

Brian