RLake@oxfam.org.uk wrote:
This is true. Furthermore, free(3) is called on every piece of garbage. The
performance will be highly dependent on the implementation of free, but
it's unlikely to be very good, since free is generally not optimised for
garbage collection.

FWIW, I got a good speedup by implementing my own pooling memory
allocator. My implementation was rather naive, but it still cut
my gc times in half, so this is a bottleneck worth investigating,
no matter what gc algorithm Lua ends up using.

Jason