> >> Vote: No, Library specific
>
> > Library specify?  How tedious.
>
> > This might be okay for internal development, but I need to offer a
> > means for my end users to load third party libraries.  This would
> > be a documentation and tech support nightmare.
>
> So implement a loadlibrary function... It's been done.
> No reason to create 'Extensions to stand-alone interpreter'

I could easily write a loadlibrary, but this misses the point entirely.

I don't want to have to take everyone else's modules and produce versions
that are compatible with 'my' loadlibrary, then have someone else do the
same thing, and another...

We'll wind up with a nightmare of incompatible modules, some of which
work together and others don't due to not being available for X's
version of Lua.

And for the end users, consider the confusion this will generate.

This is why its important to have a standard; not because its hard to
implement, but because we don't want a dozen different implementations
used by different libraries that are all incompatible.

- Peter