I think Asko was searching for a more generic libary loading than loadlib suppliues (which loads lua-specific extensions, that handle the dll loading and function exporting)

Well. alll this has actually been discussed before, but I have yet to see a solution that loads dll's generically like say VisualBasic does with the 'declare'

I believe ther is a generic function loader for Linux, part of the luagnome project (http://luagnome.free.fr/luaffi.php3)

I've yet to see something like this for Windows, tho, and would be very intersted in such.

The LuaCOM http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~rcerq/luacom/ might well suit some purposes here...

-Martin

1. I'd use a generic "lua interpreter" (like the one provided in the
package)

2. In the lua scripts run through that interpreter, they'd say "load
my_extensions.so" (or something like that), dynamically linking to the
functions etc. resources within the ".so".

This isn't possible with the current implementation, right?

No, because it depends on system-specific code for dynamically linking.
For a simple addon that does that for Unix and Windows, see
	ftp://ftp.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/pub/lhf/loadlib.tar.gz
--lhf