Someone turned your favorite sweatshirt inside out. So will you suddenly hate it, or realize that it's your favorite sweatshirt turned inside out?

If I have

    x:sin()

then certainly I can make a functional version with ease:

    function math.sin(x) return x:sin() end

Going further, I can mess with math's metatable and make this automatic, so that a call to any function

    math.foo(x, ...)

is routed to

    x:foo(...)

(Hmm, is this is the opposite of the syntactic sugar for methods?)

So you can have both ways, and still allow adventurous folks to implement big numbers or even fixed point numbers that behave just like the built-in number type.

-John

--
OpenPGP encrypted mail welcome.