It seems that we are talking about two different things here. I was
proposing a standard way of defining lua libraries, that should be portable
acrooss multiple platforms, and should for this reason abstract details
about the operating system, like the path of the library and
prefixes/sufixes.

As Philippe Lhoste mentioned there could be namespace issues, but that can
be easily solved using prefixes or storing the functions in a table, for
example. We could also agree a standard way of exporting data to avoid
namespace clases, but that's not the topic neither.

I just want a simple way to load multiple libraries, but only lua libraries,
that is, modules that have a been designed for lua and have agreed to share
a common interface.

It seems that the 'loadlib' name has already been used, so using that name
would probably confuse many people. There are many other posibilities out
there: 'openlib', loadmodule, 'use', 'uselib', 'loadlibrary', 'loadlualib'
etc.

If nobody minds, I will be writting a lua addon for windows, linux and
solaris (the platforms I have available) in a few days with the
requierements I have in mind. Any suggestion will be welcomed.

By the way, I like the word 'use', like in perl (requiere/use), but in perl
modules are not dynamically linked, and for this reason there is not a
'stopusing' lib counterpart.

Ignacio Castaño
castano@asidesoft.com