>I think luac does not assume a byte of 8 bits, but it does assume some
>uniformity between the "compiler" machine and the target machine.

To quote the man page:

       The  binary  files  created  by  luac  are portable to all
       architectures with the same word size.   This  means  that
       binary  files created on a 32-bit platform (such as Intel)
       can be read without  change  in  another  32-bit  platform
       (such  as  Sparc), even if the byte order (``endianness'')
       is different.  On the other hand, binary files created  on
       a 16-bit platform cannot be read in a 32-bit platform, nor
       vice-versa.

--lhf