>So when you said you needed at least 288 bytes per call, did you mean 288
>bytes of that "simulated" lua stack (allocated from heap memory at the start
>of the run) or 288 bytes of native stack?

Roberto meant "native stack". :-(
Perhaps you can fiddle with the constants in llimits.h, but I'm not sure
you'll be able to save much native stack.
The current implementation of Lua uses lots of nested C calls, even to call
Lua functions. This will probably change in the next (unscheduled) version.
A snapshot is available at http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/lua/work/ .

>Question 2) Is it fair to say that passing the *L parm everywhere was done
>to "insulate" your code from threading and rentrancy issues? If my system
>will not allow threading to its users anyway, can I simply remove that as a
>parm to the functions and access it as a global in all the functions that
>need it?

Like someone said before, perhaps an earlier version of Lua will suit will
better, although we'd prefer if you used the current version if possible,
because the code has become more portable in the later versions.
--lhf