On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Nick Trout wrote:

> Since the issue of licensing has raised I'd just like to check that the Lua
> license is compatible with the LGPL license.
> [...]
> However, as long as Lua's license is not breached, broadly speaking: you give
> the authors credit, leave existing copyright and license notices, and say if
> you modified anything, everything is okay.
> Lua license: http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/lua/copyright.html

This is our view too. We see no incompatibilities. Following the GNU
classification (http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html), we would
say:

- Lua is free software
- Lua has no copyleft
- Lua is compatible with the GNU GPL

When we say, in our copyright, "... this implementation have been entirely
designed and written by...", the "this" refers to Lua, not the resulting
code. After all, this is the copyright of Lua, not the copyright of the
final product. If the wording can be improved please tell us how.

-- Roberto