On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 12:05:21PM -0800, Chris.Kaiser@peoplefirst.com wrote:
> That's along the lines of what I'm thinking..
>
> Pull the business rules from a database when they change,
> plug em' into a C++ template, compile, link, and then refresh
> the network's copy. The clients would reload the dlls on a cycle.

I figured.

In my opinion, it all comes down to what kind of functionality you
need. If your users are going to natively write Lua code, then by all
means use Lua. It'll probably be fast enough. Besides, most "business
logic" type rules processors bog down because of other problems (such
as involving the database in every STEP of the rules, instead of the
rules result), not because of the execution speed of the rules.

However, if your users are not going to natively write lua, then write
the interface they ARE going to use.

Don't both dynamically generating code (either Lua or C) until it
actually becomes a performance bottleneck. -- a REAL bottleneck --
Remember that "the rules engine is slow" does not necessarily mean
that the speed of executing the rules logic is slow. Be careful.

--
David Jeske (N9LCA) + http://www.chat.net/~jeske/ + jeske@chat.net